I’m on a short break before starting a new job next month, and Kak’mbang has gone back to Terengganu and will only be back at the end of the week. We’ve been eating leftovers and takeout for the past few days, so today I made Smoked Duck and Sausage Gumbo for dinner, for a change. The gumbo recipe was based on the one made by a restaurant called Prejean, and it is often enjoyed together with their potato salad.
The first time I made the gumbo I didn’t bother with the potato salad, but since today I had more time I wanted to try it out. The potato salad was great on its own, but when mixed with the gumbo the tangy flavor of the relish and mustard went so well with the gumbo’s rich, smoky flavor. So so good! Definitely a winning combination.
Based on the recipe from Saveur.
- 1.2 kg red bliss or chat potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup mayonnaise, preferable Japanese (Kewpie)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, plus more for garnish
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 stalk green onions, sliced, for garnish (optional)
In a 6L saucepan, add the potatoes and add enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook, until potatoes are tender, 20 minutes.
Drain potatoes in a colander and transfer to a large bowl.
Mash the potatoes until smooth, and set aside to cool.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to thoroughly combine, using your spoon to break large chunks of boiled egg, if any.
Garnish with more cayenne and sliced green onions, if desired.
Serve cold. Excellent when drenched with a generous helping of Smoked Duck and Sausage Gumbo.