Tried out this dish over the weekend. All in all am pleased with the results, although I did take note of some improvements to put in if I make this again.
Classic Chicken Jambalaya
- One (1.5 kilogram) chicken, cut into 12 pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 450 grams Italian or bratwurst sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (about 225 grams) smoked chicken breast, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups long grain basmathi rice, rinsed
- Chicken stock cube, enough for 500 ml stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped and pureed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, OR 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 stalk finely sliced green onions (about 2 tablespoons), for garnish
Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (fan 170 degrees C).
Season the chicken with 2 tablespoons Essence and the salt. Heat the oil in a small Dutch oven or heavy lidded pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, working in batches if necessary, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add the celery, bell peppers, and onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the sausage and smoked turkey and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the rice, stir to blend, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock cubes, 2 cups water, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire, the remaining 1 teaspoon Essence, the hot sauce, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir to combine and return the chicken to the pot, nestling the pieces in the rice mixture. Be careful and ensure all the rice is completely immersed in liquid.
Cover the pot and bake until the chicken and rice are tender, about 40 minutes. Kak’mbang suggested that I give it one last stir in the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time to ensure the ingredients cook evenly. Remove from the oven and let stand, still covered, for 5 minutes. Garnish with the green onions and serve with hot sauce.
Makes 6 to 8 servings