For the recent Dinner Club meet, I wanted to balance out all the cheesy goodness with some semblance of a veggie dish. It also has to be something that isn’t so “healthy” it ends up just being ignored the entire night. So I ended up with this taco salad, which turned out to be a hearty, delicious surprise. Highly recommended!
Based on the recipe for the Quick Taco Salad on MyRecipes.
- 340 grams (12 ounces) minced beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups bottled hot salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (daun ketumbar)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato (about 3 tomatoes)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crumbled plain tortilla chips (about 12 chips)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Cook beef and bell pepper in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned. Stir in the taco seasoning. Add salsa and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro. Keep warm until ready to serve.
In a large salad bowl, arrange the salad. Place the lettuce at the bottom of the bowl, make a well in the middle and arrange the tomatoes in and around the edges of the well. Top with the beef mixture in the middle of the bowl. Sprinkle with the cheese, chips, and green onions. Toss to combine when serving.