We need our filler for Gobblefest, and I can’t make everything in the oven because the turkey’s gonna be roasting there, so I decided on this super simple, super basic mashed potatoes recipe. Guests totally kicked it up by adding bacon bits, spring onions, the turkey gravy, even the cauliflower soup.
Based on the recipe by SeriousEats.
- 2 kilograms russet potatoes
- 400 ml (almost 2 cups) full cream milk
- 12 tablespoons (about 3/4 of a 250-gram block) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 1/2-inch pats
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced green onions, for garnish
Bring 4 liters of water to a boil in a large stockpot over high heat. Add the potatoes and cook until completely tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander, and rinse under hot running water for 30 seconds to wash away excess starch.
Mash the potatoes using a potato masher. Add milk and butter and fold gently with rubber spatula to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with green onions, if desired.